Monday, May 18, 2009

Few words, big impact!

"It's been about 2 months since I made a teddy bear."

There, I said it! A month and a half ago I was still making bunnies but once they were done I seemed to have shut the door to my mohair closet, never looking back. No, I'm not exactly happy about this! In fact, my disinterest in bear making concerns me. But I suppose, like any job, you get burned out after a while, need a change, even if temporary. Unlike a "real" job, I can indulge myself in change, if only for a little while!

I have been working on plans for the Chicagoland Teddy Bear Show and the Maine Teddy Bear & Fiber Arts show. The Maine show is in less than two months so local marketing plans are in full swing. Floor plan is almost complete, the show is sold out... it's all looking good! I am in need of helpers on show day though so if anyone would like to spend a day or even the weekend on the southern coast of Maine with us, surrounded by teddy bears and annies and all kinds of fun people, we'd love to have you! Just email me!



Despite all this "other" teddy bear related work, my fingers and imagination have been itching to CREATE! So, while cleaning out my studio one day I found sheets of washed wool felt. I don't recall what my original plan was for it all but decided to make some little doorknob pillows. They will be my contribution to the "Ornaments for Giving Tree" at the Maine show. Every artists hand-makes at least 3 ornaments (for any occasion - not just Christmas) to hang on the big white tree in the lobby. Collectors LOVE the ornaments, all priced at $25 or less! A portion of the ornamnet sales is donated to Habitat for Humanity. We raised $500 last year, selling nearly 100 ornaments! With more artists participating this year I know we'll raise even more!


With the recent purchace of "Emmaline", a beautiful Singer Featherweight from the 40's, I'm now drawn to anything resembling the look of these beautiful old machines! I found the cutest buttons and just HAD to do something with them!


I've put a number of these pillows, some not shown above, in My Etsy Shop! Please feel free to have a look at the others I've made! At 4.5 in. x 3.5 in. they make wonderful little gifts, great decorations on presents and are fun to just decorate any little spot with!


Work on another 'project' (to be posted in the near future) took me to a quilt shop last weekend. While standing at the cutting table waiting for my pretty fabrics to be cut, my eye, already filled with beautiful, colorful eye candy, spotted a sign. It said

"She who dies with the most fabric isn't sewing fast enough!"

So that's the problem!!! That's why my mohair inventory keeps growing, not shrinking. And my quilt fabric stash... well, I won't even go there! I started thinking about all the unmade quilts and teddy bears that haven't been brought to life.... all just lay in waiting, still in yardage in my closets. That actually made me feel a little guilty! I better get sewing faster!!!

So, without further ramblings....... I'm off! To create! To sew! And sew fast!

4 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

I know what you mean Daphne... it's tough when the bear making bug leaves you for a little while. I LOVE what you have been making though!!!!!

See ya soon!

Tammy said...

Daphne, I love the little pillows ! they are adorable. Don't you hate getting in the bear making funk, but at least you are still being creative. Wish I could be at the bear show again. I was just looking at my photos earlier this week . You are such an awsome show organizer !

Daphne Towle said...

Tammy - I wish you could be there too!! It was soooo much fun to see you. (((hugs)))

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Sweet, sweet pillows!!!

Do you use your vintage Singer? I use Mimi's (B & E's grandmother's) 1950 Singer. Actually, it's the only sewing machine I use! =)